Architectural block diagram: laboratory space programming
V-Diagram: laboratory design and quality control
Certification of inward airflow (pressure cascade, BSL3 lab)
Differential pressure trending (BSL3 lab)
Full protection suit in a BSL-3Ag lab
BSL2 and BSL3 hands-on training
Basler & Hofmann Switzerland supports you as global biosafety consultants.
For any enquiries you may have, please contact us:
Services and competences
We find and/or develop solutions for your biosafety laboratory (BSL-2) and high containment laboratory project (BSL-3, BSL-4). We specialise in combined GMP / BSL-2 or BSL-3 facilities, in particular polio vaccine production facilities conforming to WHO GAP IV.
Our services include but are not limited to:
- Conceptual design and planning
- Risk assessments e.g., according to WHO 2020
- Selection of primary containment equipment and laboratory outfitting
- Review and assistance of schematic design
- Technical due diligence, gap analysis, renovation, retrofitting
- Support maintenance incusive maintenance concepts
- Review of tenders, support construction supervision
- Support testing & commissioning, handover
- Certification and validation
- Biosafety training and hands-on training in the laboratory
- Development and setting up and implemenation biorisk managment systems and programs, e.g., WHO 2020 and ISO 35001
- SOP and work instruction development
- Comprehenisve laboratory safety (including OHS, ergonomics)
- Safety audits
Credentails and experience of our lead consultant Felix Gmünder include:
- 20+ years experience in BSL-3 and BSL-4 laboratory design and consulting
- Member of the Swiss Expert Committee for Biosafety
- Singapore Ministry of Health Approved BSL-3 Certifier
- Ph.D., M.Sc. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Microbiology)
- Registered Biosafety Professional (RBP, ABSA)
- Certified Safety Engineer (OHS)
- Gmünder, F. (2023). BSL-3 Laboratory Certification - An Introduction and Overview.
BSL-3 certification or verification is an important post-construction element prior to handover to the owner and operator. It is carried out by an independent third party certifier. This article describes the purpose, procedure as well as methods and scope.
- Gmünder, F. (2023). Biosafety Cabinets - Making the Most of It: Keeping Products Protected and Sterile
This article explains how cross-contamination in the biosafety cabinet can occur and how it can be minimised. The information is relevant to laboratory personnel who are concerned with biosafety, protecting products from contamination, maintaining purity and sterility, or all of the above. Aseptic work conditions are required, e.g., for cell and tissue culture, sterile specimen handling in clinical laboratories and the maintenance of microbiological stock cultures.
- Gmünder, F. (2023). The Swiss Cheese Risk Assessment Model for BSL-2 Laboratories
This article looks at the multiple layers of protection or defence-in-depth concept to protect BSL-2 laboratory workers and the environment from biohazards.
- Gmünder, F. (2023). Risk Management for BSL-3 Laboratories Through Multiple Layers of Protection
This article looks at the multiple layers of protection or defence-in-depth concept to protect BSL-3 laboratory workers and the environment from biohazards.
- Recommendation of the SECB on the maintenance of BSL-2 and BSL-3 Laboratories. This recommendation was developed by Basler & Hofmann.
- Gmünder, F. (2016). BIBO HEPA-Filters in BSL-3 Labs: Yes or No?
- State-of-the-art safety engineering for BSL-3 labs (pptx, presented to the 3rd International Conference on Biosafety and Laboratory)
- Think outside the biosafety box (pptx, requirements for BSL2 facilities from the safety and biosafety perspectives; presented to the Swiss Biosafety Network (SBNet) annual conference)
- Design a Functional Laboratory
- BSL-3 Laboratory Engineering Consulting: Good Practice BSL-3 Engineering Design
- Certification Standards: BSL-2 and BSL-3 Laboratories
- BSL-3 Certification Requirements: Basler & Hofmann Inspection Scope